WAYUU COLOMBIAN BAGS AND BACKPACKS
WELCOME TO OUR WAYUU CULTURE!
We welcome you to our online store of Colombian backpacks, where you can buy original Wayuu backpacks and bags for men, women and all kinds of handicrafts. But first, we want to introduce you to this art and show you the magic behind this ancient tradition, since we are a people who express themselves through weaving. A perfect story for an original, unique and exclusive gift
WHAT IS WAYUU FABRIC?
Wayuu weaving is the way in which the Wayuu express their conception of life and everything that surrounds them. A tradition full of love towards their culture, praising women and all their virtues.
This art marks a before and after in the life of the Wayuu woman. Well, learning this legacy makes her an independent being and is the creator of her own life.
After her first menstruation, a female ceremony called "encierro" is performed. For a whole week her mother, aunts and grandmothers pamper her, take care of her and perform rituals that purify her body and soul.
Only in this state are all the customs and traditions of the Wayuu culture transferred. It is the moment when the spider Wareke comes to the village to teach him the skill of weaving.
By means of the legend of the spider Wareke is intended to teach:
- The importance of women's independence and self-sufficiency.
- The empowerment of being a woman and belonging to an ethnic group.
- To be in harmony with their nature and their life cycles.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT WAYUU BACKPACKS ARE?
These Colombian bags are much more than a complement. Wayuu bags or backpacks are handmade with the crochet or crochet technique. The material and threads they use are wild cotton and natural fibers from the guajira (the wayuu indigenous They are properly from the Colombian department of La Guajira).
The meaning of these guajira backpacks reflects the improvement, autonomy and virtues of women.
In the Wayuu culture the social structure is matriarchal, that is to say: women are in command of the people.
They are the most important figure in society and are the only people who receive the knowledge of the Wayuu weaving. For this reason he is the most privileged and respected individual in the community.
As Wayuu artisans and women, we consider each piece as an object of “sentimental value”. In the elaboration of these handmade bags, the creativity of an indigenous woman emerges, heir to an ancestral legacy, with a beautiful mission: Pass this ancient culture from generation to generation.
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF THE WAYUU BACKPACKS?
I imagine that by researching you will have found very different prices and you will not understand why. we want to teach you if the price you are paying for a Wayuu backpack is adequate.
The crucial factor about the price is the authenticity of the product. In the market you can buy two types of backpacks:
- wayuu backpacks originals: are made by women of the wayuu people.
- Backpacks wayuu type or style: are manufactured by a company Fashion.
However, there are other factors of importance when determining the price, such as material, technique, exclusivity and value.
Original wayuu backpacks
The original wayuu backpacks They are between ninety and three hundred euros depending on the type and model.
The reasons for the price are:
- The power of women: In the Wayuu community they are the leaders and are considered a be independent Thanks to your creations. Said skill in the art of Wayuu weaving is taught in a female ceremony called “el encierro”. For a whole week his loved ones sing, dance and praise the wisdom of becoming a self-sufficient woman.
- Exclusiveness: being pieces handmadeThey are unique and none is the same as another. For this reason, there is only one unit per model.
- Time: depending on the kanas (figures embodied), the elaboration of a wayuu backpack can take 20-30 days.
- Material used: are pieces made with materials of high quality and natural fibers. In fact, there is a tradition of inheriting a Wayuu backpack that has been in the family for generations.
- Technique used: They are handmade backpacks with the technique crochet or crochet.
Wayuu type or style backpacks
The price of these wayuu style backpacks round between forty and seventy euros.
The reasons for the price are:
- The power of women: their work, economy and effort are not recognized or valued in this type of manufacturing.
- Time: The companies dedicated to the manufacture of Wayuu backpacks can create between 400 and 500 daily backpacks.
- Material: materials of industrial cotton.
- Technique: They are backpacks made with machines specialized.
WAYUU SYMBOLS AND THEIR MEANINGS
WARNING: There are so many models and they are all so beautiful that you will not know which one to choose. But don't worry, we will give you more details about these wayuu backpacks to make your choice easier.
Now that you know much more about the Wayuu, we want to show you what are the meanings of colors and kanas (figures) embodied in their crafts.
The symbology of the wayuu fabric represents events or elements of nature.
REMEMBER: there is only one unit per model since they are handmade bags. Subscribe to our newsletter and Don't miss out on your favorite Wayuu backpack!
MEANING OF THE KANAS AND COLORS IN THE WAYUU BACKPACKS
The wayuu costume
Wayuu clothing is characterized by being colorful and created by themselves. It is composed of a long dress called wayuushein, combined with a hat, sandals and you more (inherited necklaces and bracelets with great sentimental value).
He make-up they use is made up of natural pigments of plant origin; with him they draw the breed symbols to which they belong.
Of course, the essential complement for them it is a Wayuu bag or backpack.